Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Challenge accepted.


Aug 14, 2012 – 3:56pm

Subject X: So, I'm curious and hopefully it's not an offensive question but would you say you're one of those serial dater types? You know, the whole chatting it up and going out with a lot of guys at once kind of thing or what?

Me: Serial dater? Hmmm... I wouldn't have thought of it that way. I tend to get impatient with long getting to know you sessions writing/texting, so if I'm interested in a guy I'll push for a face-to-face encounter to see if the chemistry is there. I guess I have been out with quite a few dates in the past year. But not all at once, and I would prefer to only go out with one. I periodically get sick of it, and just shut down my profile for a month or two. Have you had a lot of experience with serial daters, or was there something that led you to believe that I might be one?

Subject X: Well, after being around and chatting with so many different people in different places both online and offline (go figure, since I've moved around a lot) you kind of pick up on little things or just start to read them a lot easier. Oh, not to mention the experiences with serial daters. And it's not really a bad thing, to each their own? Different people pursue different relationships in different ways. But yeah, I've been burned or wasted my time a lot on them in the past. Because it's like your interested or pursuing this one person in particular and they say that they are looking for an actual relationship to be with someone yet at the same time they are chatting it up and going out with all of these other people. So to me in my perspective, mentally and emotionally when you're a serial dater like that you're not really getting to know a person because you're also focused on all these other folks and variables. It's rough to explain in detail, but it just throws people off. Sorry, I'm one of those analytical types! I just find people as kind of interesting in general. But yeah, we are all impatient about certain things! Sometimes you'd rather just meet someone and get it out of the way instead of the getting to know you thing.

Me: I like the cut of your jib, Subject X. Until now, I had assumed a wide net approach. You never know where a connection may happen, so I just talked to whomever came along in the hopes that if I kept myself open to that possibility I would be more likely to not miss an opportunity. But, as a social researcher, I am intrigued by this new hypothesis. I will from here until we meet, talk to no other potential dating partners. I would like to see how this plays out. I prefer to go through the getting to know you process in person because I think humor is a major component of attraction and chemistry, and I think the chat platform stifles that. I want to laugh with a partner. Like, a lot. So, challenge accepted. I'm texting a couple of people now that I will not be in contact for an indefinite amount of time. All my eggs in one basket, so to speak.

It is done. I sent the following text:
"So this may seem crazy, but if we get to know each other better you'll get used to it... I need to drop off the face of the planet for a while. In the name of social science and a dollar bet. I can't explain. I sincerely hope you are more amused than annoyed..."

Subject X: I did that same thing as well, I thought if I kept myself open to all connections and possibilities that I wouldn't miss anything. Then I later found myself neglecting them because when you have more you seem to care less. Kind of like toys, gadgets, the same theory in principle. And you don't have to do that, it was just simply my view on things! I still planned on getting to know you and trying to have a nice little nerdy date one way or the other. And I agree, laughter is a great component for getting to know each other because who doesn't like to laugh or have a good time? ;) It's fun to be silly or discuss things.

Me: Well it's done now, so here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment